Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Introduction and the Common Raccoon

I have always been fond of animals whether it be pets or wildlife. I grew up watching specials and documentaries on animals for most of my childhood. Some animals who are sometimes not liked by many people can still have admirable traits. There are plenty of creatures that are a problem when it comes to say cleanliness but that doesn't mean they aren't smart. 


The common raccoon is widely considered a pest in many parts of the mid-west. They tend to leave a mess wherever they go, and can injure family pets if they are left unwatched. But this is only one side of the animal in the spotlight. Raccoons are highly clever animals when it comes to their senses. Their sense of touch allows them to have great skill opening containers and if they need to even locks. Most of the time when people notice it is because the raccoon in question has found a way to open the garbage can. With this being said raccoons will eat just about anything.

5 comments:

  1. I personally have had many run-ins with raccoons working at Potato Creek. They can be rather annoying, considering they crawl into the trash cans and rip the bags up. However, I agree that they can be clever. I see them quite frequently along the shore line fishing with their paws in the water. Not only is this surprisingly impressive, but adorable as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kits can be really cute too, we actually had 3 of them get lost from their mother for a night towards the end of summer. I've only been out to Potato Creek twice but i can imagine they have to be all over the place out there.

      Delete
  2. Since I was young I loved animals especially cats and dogs. I've have seen raccoons a few times and the little ones are cute. They can leave a mess when people leave their trash bags outside, the trash bags should always be left in a trash can that has a lid on them. All animals can be smart in their own way, especially the raccoons because they will always find a way to open containers that have leftover food in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree the kits are adorable, they really are just like a kitten. Putting your trash in a garbage can is always a good idea because outside of a can just about anything outside is going to be able to get into it, but even after doing this if a raccoon really wants something you put in there, it will find its way in.

      Delete
  3. Hello Jordan!
    I enjoyed reading about the common raccoon. Raccoons have always fascinated me. I can tell that they are very smart animals and I'm impressed with how they use their hands to handle any situation. I am alarmed to learn how big they can grow to be. The last encounter I had with a raccoon was some night last week when I pulled into my driveway. I saw the lid to my trash barrel lift up and a raccoon jumped out and scurried into the bushes. This was funny and only slightly annoying to me.

    ReplyDelete